Guess that just about describes my mood earlier today. Not depressed, not sad, just in a funk. Probably because I’m getting over being sick (yeah, where in the heck did that come from??) and still a little tired from that. I woke up from a horrible night feeling more tired than I did when I went to bed. Not a good thing. I’m always up and running by 6:30 at the latest. Phil sent a text to me at 8:54 this morning, worried because I wasn’t up and online as usual. (Have to admit Phil, I was up but still in bed! Oops!) So I hauled my butt up and got coffee on and the trash to the curb, all the while thinking… I feel funky.
Once I got a cup down and the job search going, I realized that it wasn’t getting any better. Crap!! I don’t want to spend the day feeling like this, it’s a waste of my time. Soooo… here’s what I did to make myself feel better. Bet these things would help you too so give it a try next time you’re in a funk.
1. Take a long, warm shower in the dark. I bet I was in there for 40 minutes. I have a bench in the shower and an awesome rain shower head. I pulled that bench under the “rain” and just sat there. Oh. My. Gosh. It was amazing. (Sorry for the horrific picture burned into your brain now.) It was so relaxing. I started feeling the funk break up. Alright!
2 Put your make-up on, spray on some perfume and get dressed. Since I’m a lady of leisure for the time being it’s pretty darned easy to get up, throw on the jogging pants and t-shirt, run a comb through the hair and brush my teeth. Ready to face the day in four minutes or less. So to get myself energized, I did the make-up, hair and dress up thing. And it worked in regards to making me feel good about myself. Didn’t give me any energy though but (that’s because I’m still under the weather) that’s ok, at least I look and smell delicious. Hope the birds appreciate it. (See #6)
3. Eat some bon-bons. Being the lady of leisure that I am, it’s required to throw back a few of these on a daily basis. And hey, it’s been proven that chocolate is a natural anti-depressant. Tastes pretty damn good too. Since I’m on the never-ending diet like most women, I have a secret stash of chocolate covered pretzels. I mean I literally keep them hidden, like in my bedroom closet. I have grandchildren and the little rug rats like ’em too. (Inserting a very evil laugh right now) Sorry babies, Nanny doesn’t share these. Since I hadn’t eaten breakfast, I allowed myself to have six pretzels. I felt better immediately just from the shear sinfulness of it!
4. Surround yourself with loved ones. I made arrangements to have Micah and EmJ over for the night. I can’t wait to snuggle with those babies and have a Power Ranger marathon. Ok, I can do without the Power Rangers really but it makes them pretty happy. And Micah is such a sweet big brother that he will throw in a Thomas the Train or two for EmJ. Who wouldn’t feel better with all that love??? Then tomorrow it’s going to be Princess night with Julianne and Jordyn. Can’t wait! An evening of tea parties and coloring pictures and sneaking chocolate milk. Thank you Jimmy and Crys for giving me the best g-babies in the world.
5. Clean up the house. I always feel better when the house it nice and tidy. Since I’m low on energy and pretty neat to start with, there wasn’t much to do. I puttered around, made the bed and did some laundry. Just that little bit made me happy knowing it was done.
6. Do something that makes you feel good. For today is was several different things. I turned on my iPod in the kitchen, my iTunes in the office and a music station on the TV in the living room. It’s really nice to walk through the house and hear it. It’s like I have someone here and I’m not alone. I also watched my birds play in the bird bath on the back deck. I have about 7 or 8 blue jays that are regular visitors along with a couple of red birds that come by occasionally. I was hoping to see the hawk that came by last week but I’m thinking that was a one time thing.
7. Do something you’ve been putting off. I don’t know about you but I always feel better when I do this. Today is was cleaning out my bathroom drawers. I think I’m a secret make-up hoarder. Embarrassing to admit it but there it is. I had crap in my make-up drawer and in five other containers that I’ve been holding on to for years, for no good reason. And that’s not counting the six make-up bags. I cleaned house folks! Threw that crap away and didn’t cry a single tear. I’m so proud of myself, actually did a little dance when I finished. I guess it’s a good thing I’m here alone, anyone seeing that would still be on the floor laughing.
8. Write. Get out a piece of paper and pen or fire up the computer. Make lists, make promises, confess your sins, write whatever your heart desires. Crumple it up and throw it in the trash, keep it as a secret journal, send it to the newspaper; doesn’t matter what you do with it, just do it. I noticed that when I started writing this blog, I felt great when I hit the publish button. It’s gotten to be a mental rush now. “I wrote something and someone is going to read it. Is is good or is it crap?? Who cares!! It made me feel good and I’m gonna keep at it!!” I’m so stoked that as of today, my blog has had 1,096 hits. WOW!!!! I hope that since you’ve read this, you might consider subscribing. Pretty please, it makes me so happy and I might actually make you giggle a time or two. A win win situation for all of us!
That’s all I’ve done so far today to make myself get out of this funk and I’m proud to say the funk has left the house. I’m exhausted, have a pretty good headache and my right ear is still annoying me but mentally, I’m tap dancing.
What do you do to get out of a funk? I’ve got dozen of different things I do that I didn’t list here. That’s for another day and another blog. Let me know what your thing is so I can add it to my bag of tricks.
Now… I’m gonna…
Play that funky music white boy
Play that funky music right
Play that funky music white boy
Lay down that boogie and play that funky music till you die…
(hey,hey) till you die…yeah, yeah
Keeping that smile on my face until next time,