Home remedies, the things your grandmother tells you to do to take care of what ails you. My grandmother did this all the time and 9 out of 10 times they actually worked. I wish I had written them down over the years but I didn’t. I’m going off memory here (which she had a great tip for but I can’t remember it) so I hope I get them all. And please, keep in mind that I’m not giving actual medical advice here, you definitely need to see your doctor if you are experiencing any health issues.
- A few drops of warm sweet oil in your ear will temporarily alleviate the pain of an ear infection
- Gargle with warm salt water for a sore throat. It doesn’t cure it but will help with the pain.
- One teaspoon of sugar dissolved on your tongue will get rid of the hiccups.
- Rub Vick’s Vapor Rub ointment on the soles of your feet before going to bed to help with a cough. This one does work, at least for me.
- To get rid of a tension headache, place a pencil between your teeth and apply enough pressure to hold it there for a few minutes. This will relax the muscles that cause the headache.
- Place a cotton ball soaked in whiskey or brandy on a sore tooth.
- To lighten dark circles under your eyes, wrap a grated raw potato in cheesecloth and apply to eyelids for 15-20 minutes. Wipe off residue and apply an eye cream.
- Add a jigger of vodka to a 12 ounce bottle of shampoo to really clean your scalp and remove toxins and product build-up from you hair.
- Sleep on your left side to reduce the symptoms of acid reflux.
- Press your tongue against the roof of your mouth when you experience brain freeze.
- Scratch your ear when your throat tickles. This creates a muscle spasm the will make the tickle go away.
- Use a tiny bit of olive oil on your lips to soften and moisturize.
- Mix one teaspoon of baking soda and a little less than one teaspoon of water to whiten your teeth. Use once or twice a week but not for more than three weeks at a time.
I’ll add more to the list as I remember them but in the meantime, please comment with your favorite home remedies.